Vertical tabsMonastery name, type, categorySite Name: Deir Daqla; Deir DaqleMonastery name: MonasteryMonastery type: CenobiumMonastery category: Isolated in the countrysideFormer fortress LocationCoordinates, ITM system: 20,210.0066,210.00 Coordinates, ICS system: 15,210.0016,210.00 Geographical region: Southern and Western SamariaProvincial affiliation: Palaestina IBishopric: DiospolisTopographical location: The site is located on a hilltop south of Nahal Shiloh and southwest of Deir Qal’a.Distance from nearest bishop-seat: 15 km (Lod-Diospolis)Distance from Roman roads: 2.5 km north of the road connecting Lod-Diospolis with the Samarian hills. Source of knowledgeArchaeological remainsSurveyed siteSurveyors: NameDate Guérin1874-1875 Conder and Kitchener1871-1877 Kochavi1967-1968 Finkelstein, Lederman and Bunimovitz 1997 Excavated siteExcavators: NameDate Magen and Har-Even 2008 Bibliograpy: Guérin, V., 1875121-22 Conder, C. R. and Kitchener, H. H., 1882313 Avi-Yonah, M., 1933136-81 Ovadiah, A., 197046 Kochavi, M. and Ovadiah, R., 1972231 Tsafrir, Y., Di Segni, L. and Green, J., 1994110 Finkelstein, I., Bunimvitz, S. and Lederman, Z., 1997241-42 Hirschfeld, Y., 2002155-89 Magen, Y., 2008177-216 Magen, Y. and Kagan, E. D., 2012152-53 Dayan, A., 201579 Abbreviation for Journals and SeriesState of certainty: Archaeologicaly definitive General descriptionState of preservation/which parts were uncovered: The site consists of a rectangular structure in an east-west orientation, built of large ashlars. The western and southern walls of the compound have remained to a height of eight courses. The eastern section of the north wall was ruined and the eastern wall was buried under a layer of debris. The internal walls are visible in the southwest. In places, the internal walls survived to roof height. Illustrative material: Illustrative_material Photos General descriptionEnclosing walls: A wall encompasses an area of 600 sq.m (30 x 20 m). Churche/s: The church was apparently in the southeastern part of the complex. The church's presence is indicated by many tesserae and three fragments of a marble chancel screen, one with traces of a Greek inscription. Cave/s: A long corridor, along the northern wall of the compound, ended with a hewn staircase that descended into a rock-cut cave. A second cave, with a hewn entrance, is located in the northeastern corner of the structure. Water installations: In the southwestern corner of the compound were the remains of a water conservation system. It included two hewn pools: one inside the compound’s southern wall the other outside it. A hewn drain connected the two. East of the complex was a large pool (11 x 9 m, depth unknown). The pool was partially hewn and partially built, with a staircase leading into it. Channels were observed near the pool. Four bell-shaped cisterns were found near the winepress. Agricultural and industrial installations: Industrial installations west of the complex included two improved winepresses with several constructed treading floors and several collecting vats. An oil press was established in the Early Islamic period in a cave beneath the structure. Small finds Detailed descriptionDimensions: Total area (sqm)Size class 600Small StructureMaterials applied (walls): LimestoneMaterials applied (roofing): stone ComponentsEnclosing wallCourtyard/sMonastery church: Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location unknownGround floor Agricultural installations: oil press\es [=o/p]wine press\es [=w/p]Water installations: CisternsChannels Architectural evolutionPhase 1 Abandonment General outline: The monastery was established within a Late Roman Fort. The structure was adapted for use as a monastery mainly by the addition of a church which was indicated by the remains (the church did not survive).Phase dateCentury: 5th-6th c. General outline: Early Islamic period.Phase dateCentury: 7th-8th c. Post conquest history comments: An oil press was installed at the site in the Early Islamic period. The occupants' identity is not clear.