Vertical tabsMonastery name, type, categorySite Name: Deir el-GhawiMonastery name: Monastery (?)Monastery type: CenobiumMonastery category: Isolated in the countryside LocationCoordinates, ITM system: 19,239.0058,587.00 Coordinates, ICS system: 14,239.008,587.00 Geographical region: Hebron HillsProvincial affiliation: Palaestina IBishopric: EleutheropolisTopographical location: The site is located on a hilltop.Distance from nearest bishop-seat: ca. 25 km (Beth Govrin-Eleutheropolis)Distance from Roman roads: ca. 2 km north of the road connecting Beer Sheva with Hebron. Source of knowledgeArchaeological remainsSurveyed siteSurveyors: NameDate Conder and Kitchener1871-1877 Abel1933-1938 Bibliograpy: Conder, C. R. and Kitchener, H. H., 1883393 Abel, F. M., 1938352 Tal, N., 1997271-90 Magen, Y. and Kagan, E. D., 2012292-3 Abbreviation for Journals and SeriesState of certainty: Uncertain / Questionable General descriptionState of preservation/which parts were uncovered: The site was surveyed but in recent years the whole area has been built over the remains now buried beneath a house. The remains consisted of a complex of rooms built in a semicircle around the hilltop. Remains of another structure are located southeast of the complex. The structure is square, its northern, eastern and southern walls visible. It is 23 m in its north-south axis but the east-west dimensions are unclear. The structure is entered on the northern side. The walls are of ashlars on the outside and dressed stones on the inside. The walls, at the time of the surveys, remained to the height of one course. Illustrative material: Illustrative_material Photos General descriptionTower/s: An ashlar built tower stood south of the church. A rolling stone was found in the tower's southeastern room. Churche/s: A church was described in the northern part of the site, built of ashlars. At the eastern end of the church, a rolling stone was found. Cave/s: Three caves were found around the site. At the entrance to one of the caves there was a lintel in secondary use bearing an inscribed Maltese cross in a circle. Water installations: Three cisterns were noted around the site. Agricultural and industrial installations: Remains of an oil press were found south of the site, possibly installed at a later stage. Small finds Detailed descriptionComponentsRolling stone: at towerNumber of rolling stone: 3Tower/sMonastery church: Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location unknownGround floor Agricultural installations: oil press\es [=o/p]Water installations: CisternsInscribed crosses Architectural evolutionPhase 1 Abandonment Phase dateCentury: Early Christian / Byzantine Phase dateCentury: Unknown Post conquest history comments: An olive press was installed possibly in the Early Islamic period.