Vertical tabsMonastery name, type, categorySite Name: Jerusalem extra mural (Silwan caves)Identification: The necropolis of Silwan was in use as such during the First and Second Temple periods. The many tombs were used as cells by hermits in the Byzantine and Crusader periods. Hermits are mentioned by the Bordeaux Pilgrim as living in the area of Hacle Dama (reference). Most of the literary evidence is from the Middle Ages.Monastery name: HermitageMonastery type: Hermitage/hermitagesMonastery category: Para UrbanFormer ruinSource of sacredness: Old Testament site LocationCoordinates, ITM system: 222,716.00630,955.00 Coordinates, ICS system: 172,724.00130,986.00 Geographical region: Jerusalem (extra-mural)Provincial affiliation: Palaestina IBishopric: JerusalemTopographical location: On steep slopes east and south of the Old City of JerusalemDistance from nearest bishop-seat: ca. 0.5 km (Jerusalem)Distance from nearest settlement: ca. 0.5 km (Jerusalem)Distance from Roman roads: ca. 1 km south of the road leading to Jericho. Source of knowledgeArchaeological remainsSurveyed siteSurveyors: NameDate Ussishkin1970 Bibliograpy: Schick, C., 1890252-56 Schick, C., 189016-18 Ussishkin, D., 1993249-359 Seligman, J., 2011514 Abbreviation for Journals and SeriesState of certainty: Archaeologicaly definitive General descriptionState of preservation/which parts were uncovered: In a survey of the ancient necropolis in Silwan, the surveyors found evidence of eremitic occupation in some of the tombs. Chapels were surveyed in some of the caves. Illustrative material: Illustrative_material Figures General descriptionChurche/s: Within two cave groups (22-25, 39-40) chapels were surveyed. Caves 22-25 possessed three chapels. These were in pre-existing caves, openings had been breached between them with arched windows on either side of the opening. Carved and painted rosettes were noted and painted plaster in the apse of no. 24. A large cross was incised near the apse of no, 22. The apses of the chapels had been hewn into the rock at the back of the caves. An inscription (Schick 1890: 17-18) identifies the tomb as the traditional burial place of the prophet Isaia (Abel 1922: 25-33). Graffiti in Arabic and Syriac was dated to the 7th-8th c. Two chapels in caves 39-40 are connected with adjoining burial caves 41-43. Fragments of columns and capitals may indicate that a building stood in front of these. Dwellings: Signs of hewing and various installations were noted in some of the caves, evidence that they were used as dwellings. Some of the caves apparently had huts constructed in front of them, evidenced by sockets in the cliff face for inserting poles. Burials: No burials were found dating to the Byzantine period but fragments of tombstones were found. A fragment of tombstone with a greek inscription, probably 7th c, two more tombstones were dated by Thomsen to the 5th c. In caves 39-41 pits were carved into the floor, possibly for burial. Small findsSmall finds: Category Inscription - see under epigraphy Detailed descriptionDimensions: Size class Small ComponentsMonastery church: Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location No traces Dwelling type: cavesInscribed crosses Architectural evolutionPhase 1 Abandonment Phase dateCentury: Early Christian / Byzantine Phase dateCentury: Unknown Post conquest history comments: The ancient tombs were used throughout the centuries for a variety of functions including living quarters, storage and stables.