The remains uncovered in the late nineteenth century on the summit of the Mt. of Olives, near Bethphage, were excavated by Bliss and Dickie (1898: 224). The church was tentatively identified by Vincent and Abel (1914:390) with the Ancona church near Bethphage mentioned by Theodosius (TS 21). Goldfus (2003: 76) suggested that the remains be identified with the "Monastery of Holy Mary on the Mt. of Olives mentioned by Procopius of Caesarea as having been renovated by Justinian (Buildings LCL no. 341). This suggestion, is based on an inscription found in the mosaic pavement of the church mentioning two clergymen and three monks, suggesting that this was a monastic church, and on the elaborate opus sectile pavement found in the complex.