Vertical tabsMonastery name, type, categorySite Name: Scythopolis/Beth Shean (round church)Identification: Two identifications of the church have been brought forth. It has been suggested that the church was dedicated to Procopius which, according to Cyril of Scythopolis, was located within the bishop's palace. Avi-Yonah suggested that the church was dedicated to St. John the Baptist, based on the account of the Anonymous pilgrim of Piacenta in the fifth century (Mazor 2008: 1634).Monastery name: Monastery (?)Monastery type: CenobiumMonastery category: UrbanPilgrims LocationCoordinates, ITM system: 247,536.00712,324.00 Coordinates, ICS system: 197,533.00212,324.00 Geographical region: Beth Shean ValleyProvincial affiliation: Palaestina IIBishopric: ScythopolisTopographical location: on the summit of a telSoils: Volcanic000 Source of knowledgeArchaeological remainsExcavated siteExcavators: NameDate Rowe and FitzGerald1921-1933 Bibliograpy: Vincent, L. H., 1923430-41 Fischer, C., 1924171-89 FitzGerald, G. M., 1931 Vincent, L. H. , 1932 Ovadiah, A., 1970 Ovadiah, A. and de Silva, C. G., 1982 Arav, R., 1989 Mazor, G., 2008 Nocera, D., 2013 Shalev-Hurwitz, V., 2015 Vincent, L. H. , 1932321 Abbreviation for Journals and SeriesDiscussion: The round church at the top of the tel was totally dismantled after its excavation. Mazor (2008:1634) suggested that it may have been dedicated to St. John the Baptist and a small monastery was attached to the church to provide service for the pilgrims that attended the church. According to him, all the churches around Scythopolis belonged to monastic complexes.State of certainty: Uncertain / Questionable General descriptionState of preservation/which parts were uncovered: See description of the church in the Churches section. The church and its attached structures were dismanteled during the excavation. General descriptionCourtyards: West of the church and some 0.60 m lower than the narthex, there was an atrium paved with red and white stone tiles. Twelve pillars and four corner piers apparently surrounded the atrium. Churche/s: The round church had an outer diameter of 36.4 m, the inner circle measuring 26.4 m. The semi-circular apse protruded towards the eastwards measuring 4.4 m, the bema itself protruding into the ambulatory. The space formed by the inner and outer circular walls, named an ambulatory by the excavators, was 4.4 m wide. Remains of a mosaic pavement were uncovered in the ambulatory. Dwellings: A few rooms associated with church were uncovered. Three rooms to the east and two more on the southern side. A room in the north was suggeste by vestiges of pavement. Remains of poychrome mosaic pavements were uncovered in some of the rooms. Refectory: A refectory with tables and benches was apparently found. Baking oven: A bakery apparently formed part of the complex. Small finds Detailed descriptionComponentsMonastery church: Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location otherScythopolis / Beth Shean; Tell el Husn - Round church; acropolis churchGround floor RefectoryBaking oven Architectural evolutionPhase 1 Abandonment General outline: According to Fisher (1922: 41), the round church was constructed over the remains of an earlier basilica, the construction of which he attributed to Bishop Patriphilus in the fourth century. The basilica was apparently destroyed in the same century and its remains incorporated into the round church (Mazor 2008).Dating material: The round church was dated by the Shalev-Hurwitz to the first half of the fifth century based on the evolution of round churches in Palestine. Phase dateCentury: 5th c.Within century: First half General outline: The church was probably destroyed in the 749 CE earthquake but it is not known if it continued to function until this date. If a monastery was indeed annexed to the church, as suggested by Mazor, it would probably have been abandoned at the same time.Dating material: Based on the fallen columns and an Arabic inscription. Phase dateCentury: 7th-8th c. Post Arab conquest history: Still in usePost conquest history comments: According to Schick (1995: 270), the church continued to function in the Early Islamic period and may have been abandoned due to the earthquake of 749 CE, or possibly earlier.