Vertical tabsChurch Name, type, functionSite Name: ʻAbudIdentification: The site name is variously written ‘Âbûd; ‘Abūd; el-‘Abūd; A’boud,Church name: Greek Orthodox church of Setti Miriam; al-'AbudiyahDedication: St. MiriamFunctional Type: ParochialChurch type: Basilical - Basilica with two annexed chapels LocationCoordinates, ITM system: 206.60658.00 Coordinates, ICS system: 156.601,158.10 Location: Village/TownGeographical region: Southern and Western SamariaTopographical location: A mountain slope.Distance from nearest bishop-seat: 30 km from Jerusalem.Distance from nearest settlement: Part of the settlement of 'Abud.Distance from Roman roads: Overlooking the ancient road between Aphek-Antipatris and Jericho.Provincial affiliation: Palaestina I Source of knowledgeEpigraphyArchaeological remainsSurveyed siteExcavated siteExcavators: NameDate Taha, H.1997 Bibliograpy: Guérin, V., 1875 Bagatti, B., 1959-1960 Milik, J. T., 1959-1960 Ellenblum, R., 1991 Pringle, D., 199317-23 Schick, R., 1995 Taha, H., 1997 Ellenblum, R., 1998 Bagatti, B., 2002 Magen, Y. and Kagan, E. D., 2012171-3 Abbreviation for Journals and Series General descriptionState of preservation/which parts were uncovered: Basilica with a narthex and two annexes. 22.8X14.5m in dimensions. DescriptionIllustrative material: Illustrative_material Photos Figures Façade and entries: The lintel of the main entrance is decorated with two rossests and a cross inside a circle (Carmin, 2012). Nave: The southern row of 5 columns is attributed to the original, Byzantine structure. The second and fourth columns were integrated into the later pilasters. These limestone columns are monolithic and bear Ionic and Corinthian apitals (Carmin, 2012) Bema, chancel screen and apse: An external apse, 2 m deep and 4 m. in diameter. Lateral spaces: Small internal apses. Small findsSmall finds: CategoryDescription PotteryPottery from the Byzantine period till the Mamluk-Ottoman period were found. GlassGlass vessels were found in the graves north of the church. CoinsCoins were found in the graves north of the church. Metal objectsA knife was found in one of the graves north of the church. JewelryBeads, rings, necklace, bracelets and earrings were found in the graves north of the church. OtherA shoe was found in one of the graves north of the church. Oil lampsLate Byzantine lamps were found in the graves north of the church. Small finds illustrative material: Illustrative_material Detailed descriptionStructureOrientation: Facing eastNarthex: YesAisles: 2Colonnades / Arcades: ColonnadeNumber of nave columns in a row: TotalExtant in S 55 Capital types: IonicCorinthianEast end: External apse, roundChurch Head/Chevet: tri-apsidal (central external, lateral internal)Central Apse Category: apsidalApse shape: HemisphericalSynthronon remains: gradesSynthronon location: Against the apse Lateral Apses FunctionLocation: N & SNorthern apse description and function: A small internal apse.Southern apse description and function: A small internal apse. Attached structuresProthesis chapel / Diakonikon: OtherProthesis chapel / Diakonikon description: On the south side of the church is a Simple rectangular room divided by two columns. During a salvation excavation done in 1997, a northern Annex was uncovered, in which the five phases were identified. Architectural EvolutionPhase 1 Abandonment Phase name (as published): Strata V (according to Taha)General outline: The general plan of the church and five columns of the southern aisle are attributed to this phase. This early phase is also recognized in the northern annex, rectangular in shape and comprising of four rooms and a mosaic pavement. Two sub phases can be identified here. In the first the northern wall was constructed and then the partition walls were built and the mosaic pavement was placed. The four rooms: 1- only a section was excavated in it a 90X80 cm strip of mosaic in the north-east corner. A well-dressed threshold leads to room 2- 5X2.3 m; the mosaic is preserved in the northern part only. 3- 2.65X2.1 m; the floor is 29 cm higher than the previous rooms. The later buttress wall is built directly on top of the mosaic. 4- 5.4X4.1 m; the floor is 20 cm higher than room 3, the room is covered in a well preserved mosaic Dating material: The capitals style suggest a 5-6 century date. Phase dateCentury: 5th-6th c. Phase name (as published): Strata IV (according to Taha)General outline: The Byzantine-Medieval debris of the church seen only in the northern annex. The Medieval church was rebuilt no earlier than the 11th c. Dating material: Pre-mediaeval. Phase dateCentury: 7th c? Post Arab conquest history: Ceased to functionPost conquest history comments: The debris found in the northern annex indicates that this part of the church was destroyed during the seventh century.