SEG 37 (1987): 1496
CIIP IV.2 (2018): 3820 (ph.)
In the mosaic pavement of the chapel, facing the apse, in front of the burial cave.
Three-line inscription, in black tesserae, within a tabula ansata (95 x 31 cm), in the eastern part of the chapel floor, below the conch motif near the apse. Letters 6 cm high. Lines separated by yellow strips (1 cm wide), like Inscription no.1. Unmarked abbreviated words, reversed stigma before the tau for τήν in line 1, and after the tau for τ(αῖς) in line 3, diagonal stroke over the leg of the kappa, for καί.
Ἅγιοι πρεσ(βύτεροι) πρεσβε(ύετε) τὴν
εἰρήνην τῷ τόπῳ τού-
ῳ κ(αὶ) τ(αῖς) ψυχαῖς ἡμῶν.
Holy presbyters (fathers?), interecede for peace for this place and for our souls.
Feissel (ΒΕ) suggested restoring ΠΡΕΣ as π(ατέ)ρες, "fathers."
The inscription suggests that this was the tomb of the priests of the monastery. Simple monks were probably buried elsewhere.
Funerary inscription in the mosaic pavement of the chapel in front of the burial cave.