13005 - CASTELLION; Khirbet el Mird - Chapel - Chapel

Export to text file
Save as pdf (ctrl P )

CASTELLION; Khirbet el Mird - Chapel - Chapel

Church Name, type, function

Site Name: 
CASTELLION; Khirbet el Mird - Chapel
Identification: 
Meaning of the Arabic name: "The Lofty Place". Identified with Hyrcania of the second temple period.
Church name: 
Chapel
Functional Type: 
Monastic
Church type: 
Chapel - With an annexed room

Location

Coordinates, ITM system: 
234.73
625.13
Coordinates, ICS system: 
187.72
1,125.15
Geographical region: 
Judean Desert
Topographical location: 
On top of a mountain.
Provincial affiliation: 
Palaestina I
Bishopric: 
Jerusalem

Source of knowledge

Literary sources: 

Archaeological remains

Surveyed site
Surveyors: 
NameDate
Conder, C. R., and Kitchener, R. E.
1877
Mader, A. E.
1913-1928
Meshel, Z.
1973
Patrich, J.
1981-1982
Excavated site
Excavators: 
NameDate
de Langhe, R.
1953
Allegro, J.
1960

General description

State of preservation/which parts were uncovered: 
A chapel, missing part of the apse, built on the north east corner of the monastery. A rectangular chamber and a large courtyard on the south; a second rectangular courtyard on the west, connects the chapel to the monastery. Dimensions of the chapel: 14X5.5 m (Ovadiah 1970) or 16X5.5 m. (Patrich 1994). Built on top of the Herodian fortress.

Description

Illustrative material: 
Façade and entries: 

One entrance in the west wall, leading to the monastery, and one in the middle of the south wall leading to the courtyard.

Lateral walls: 

0.7-0.8 m. wide. 2 piers, 4 m. apart, attached to the north and south walls.

Nave: 

Appears to have arches supporting the roof, a style characteristic to the Hauran and Negev.

Bema, chancel screen and apse: 

Only the side walls of the semicircular apse survived. Approx. 3.4 m. deep.

Small finds

Small finds: 
CategoryDescription
Papyrii
Papyri dated to 8th -10th century was discovered at the site.
Oil lamps
An oil lamp with an inscription and a cross.
Pottery
Byzantine.
Other
Sundial was found by Mader (1929), location not mentioned.
Small finds illustrative material: 

Detailed description

Structure

Orientation: 
Facing east
East end: 
External apse, round
Central Apse Category: 
apsidal
Apse shape: 
Hemispherical

Cult of relics

Cult of relics loci: 
elsewhere
Reliquiaries: shapes and contents: 
A lid of a reliquary box was found in the chapel in the 1920's.

Baptism

Baptism photos and plans: 
Loci: 
During cleaning of the chapel in the 1920's a square font was found laid in the courtyard. Dimensions: 1 m. wide on its outer part and 0.57 m. wide on the inside (carved diagonally). 0.65 m. high yet 0.32 deep.
Font structure: 
Monolithic
External shape: 
circular
Internal shape: 
circular
Ben-Pechat type: 
7a

Attached structures

Prothesis chapel / Diakonikon: 
Simple rectangular room
Prothesis chapel / Diakonikon description: 
A rectangular room, covered in a mosaic floor, located south of the chapel might have used as a Diakonikon. The entrance to the room is through the southern courtyard.

Architectural Evolution

Dating materialPhase no.CenturyWithin century

According to Cyrillus of Scythopolis (Vita Sabae 27; 28; 33; 58) the monastery was built by St. Sabas at 492 A.D.

Phase 1
5th c.
Late

Papyri found at the site dated to the 8th-9th, perhaps even 10th century suggest that it was occupied until then. A 14th century icon with an inscription that was found in a burial cave in of the monastery, now kept in Mar Saba, indictes some sort of presence at the site at that post-Crusaders time.

Abandonment
10th c.
Post Arab conquest history: 
Still in use
Post conquest history comments: 
Mentioned in texts of the 8th century and the papyri found at the site attest to it's continued occupation after the conquest.