Khirbet ez-Zaraniq - JEREMIAS

Vertical tabs

Monastery name, type, category
Site Name: 
Khirbet ez-Zaraniq
Identification: 
The ruins found at Khirbet ez-Zaraniq have been identified as the remains of the laura of Jeremias, founded in 531 CE by Sabas and his pupil Jeremias (V. Sab. 74 [ed. Schwartz 179.22]). The identification is based on the literary source, on the location of the site and the finds.
Monastery name: 
JEREMIAS
Monastery type: 
Laura
Monastery category: 
Desert
Location
Coordinates, ITM system: 
23,442.00
62,790.00
Coordinates, ICS system: 
18,442.00
12,790.00
Geographical region: 
Judean Desert
Provincial affiliation: 
Palaestina I
Bishopric: 
Jerusalem
Topographical location: 
Cliff
Soils: 
Rocky limestone
Distance from nearest bishop-seat: 
ca. 13 km (Jerusalem)
Distance from Roman roads: 
ca. 7 km south of the road connecting Jerusalem with Jericho.
Source of knowledge
Hide Archaeological remains
Surveyed site
Surveyors: 
NameDate
Conder and Kitchener
1871-1877
Schick
1880
Palmer
1881
Corbo
1958
Patrich
1983
Excavated site
Excavators: 
NameDate
Farmer
1957
Patrich
1984
History: 
The laura was founded by Sabas and his pupil Jeremias in 531 CE, according to Cyril of Scythopolis. It is not mentioned again in any other source and was probably abandoned sometime in the early seventh century although it has been suggested by Patrich (1990:295) that it may have been abandoned even before the Persian occupation.
State of certainty: 
Archaeologically and Literarily definitive
General description
State of preservation/which parts were uncovered: 

The laura of Jeremias is located in the Judean Desert, on both banks of Wadi Zaraniq, about 1 km north of the Monastery of the cave. The remains of the laura are scattered on both sides of Wadi ez-Zaraniq, along a section more than 1 km long. The laura consists of 12 structures arranged in three groups, each one having its own cistern.The western group, on the south side of the wadi includes three cells (nos. 1-3). The second group is on the northern bank and 400 m from it is the core of the laura. The third group, also on the north bank is ca. 300 m from the core and contains 8 cells (nos. 5-12) scattered on the cliffs. The groups were connected by constructed paths. About 20 m further on is the central structure, its external dimensions estimated at 16 x 22 m. Two longitudinal walls 22 and 28 m long, divide the shelf into 3 parts. The southern section of the terrace, including the wall, is in a poor state of preservation due to the collapse of the terrace.

Illustrative material: 
Hide General description
Paths: 

Paths were constructed leading from the road to Castellion, the Monastery of the Cave and Jermias. The various parts of the laura are connected by a network of paths, long sections of them reinforced by retaining walls.

Enclosing walls: 

The monastery has a low boundary wall ca. 0.8 m thick and 3 courses high. The fences were probably built to alert the local shepherds that this was monastery territory and they should not enter with their herds.

Gate/s: 

The core of the laura is built next to a cliff face, at a point where an 18 m wide shelf allows for construction. The shelf slopes towards the wadi and a terrace was built to form a level area. To the west are the ruins of the entrance gate. Next to the gate are the remains of a plastered pool, perhaps a trough for animals.

Courtyards: 

An elongated rectangular space (11 x 4 m - internal measurements) may have served as an entry courtyard. The entrance threshold survived in situ. Some of the cells have small courtyards next to them.

Tower/s: 

Cell no. 2 of the laura was found to be a massive two-storied tower with a large water cistern next to it.

Churche/s: 

In the debris found on the floor of room 4, fragments of mosaic with a geometric pattern in red and white squares were found, and a fragment of a marble colonnette, apparently the leg of an altar table. These derived from the collapsed second story which apparently housed the church.

Dwellings: 

12 cells were identified, most of which are on the northern bank of the wadi. The cells are relatively small (average 15 m2) and of only one room. They are divided into two groups: a western group consisting of three cells, of which one was a massive tower, and an eastern group consisting of eight cells. The cells are quite small except for the tower. Based on the size of the cells, if we assume 3-4 monks in the core, the total population of the laura would have been about 15 monks.

Storage facilities: 

Storage caves were located next to some of the dwelling cells.

Kitchen: 

In all, the central complex consists of 7 rooms. The function of the various rooms is not known. The central and northern sections are divided into rooms by lateral walls. The central section is composed of two elongated rectangular spaces (nos. 1 and 2) the western one (1) with internal dimensions of 11 x 4 possibly served as an entryway.

Baking oven: 

Fragments of poorly-fired bricks which were discovered in the excavation indicate the existence of a baking or cooking oven. The oven itself was not found.

Water installations: 

The cisterns of the laura were filled with rainwater drained naturally from the rock walls. On the northeast side of the main building there is a large cistern, the south and west walls of which were reinforced by retaining walls that thicken downwards. It is divided into two chambers separated by a 1 m thick partition wall. The eastern chamber measured 3.4 x 2 m, the western one 4.2 x 6 m. A segment of white mosaic in situ at the top of the separation wall, indicates that rooms were built above the cistern. An additional cistern was found above the path which continues eastwards. This is rock cut and plastered, oval in contour. All cisterns were plastered with reddish hydraulic plaster.

Agricultural and industrial installations: 

A lime kiln was located in a small tributary of the wadi with an external diameter of 8 m . This may have provided the lime for construction. 200 m south of the kiln is an installation which may have been used for crushing (perhaps herbs or spices).

Hide Small finds
Detailed description
Dimensions: 
Total area (sqm)Size class
27,000
Large
Hide Structure
Materials applied (walls): 
Limestone
Materials applied (roofing): 
timber
Hide Components
Enclosing wall
Border marks
Gate/s: 
1
Tower/s
Courtyard/s
Monastery church: 
Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location
unknown
Upper floor
Dwelling type: 
cells
Storage facilities – warehouses
Storage caves
Baking oven
Built paths
Retaining walls
Garden
Water installations: 
Cisterns
Channels
Gutters
0
Architectural evolution
General outline: 
Founded in 531 CE by Jermias, a pupil of Sabas'
Dating material: 

Literary. Cyril of Scythopolis (V. Sab. 74 [ed. Schwartz 179] 14-25).

Hide Phase date
Century: 
6th c.
Within century: 
First half
Post Arab conquest history: 
Abandoned