The monastery of Theodosius was founded around a cave used by him for seclusion. Cyril of Scythopolis reports that the monastery was located six miles (8.9 km) from Jerusalem. The monastery established there was one of the largest monasteries of the Judean Desert. In its largest form it contained several churches, a hospital, a hospice for pilgrims, storerooms and other components. It is not known when the monastery was abandoned. It was still active in the early 9th century, based on the Commemoratorium de casis Dei. Due to the removal of almost the entirety of the ancient remains, when the monastery was rebuilt in the late 19th c, the monastery's abandonment date could not be verified. The remains were surveyed and documented by Schick and published by Marti (1880) providing a plan of the Byzantine period monastery.
State of certainty:
Archaeologically and Literarily definitive