Deir el-Muqalik - THEOCTISTUS

Vertical tabs

Monastery name, type, category
Site Name: 
Deir el-Muqalik
Identification: 
Identification of the site, located in the central part of Nahal Og (Wadi el Muqallik), with the monastery of Theoctistus was suggested by Féderlin. Based on the finds at the site, this identification has been accepted.
Monastery name: 
THEOCTISTUS
Monastery type: 
Cenobium
Monastery category: 
Desert
Location
Coordinates, ITM system: 
23,690.00
63,180.00
Coordinates, ICS system: 
18,690.00
13,180.00
Geographical region: 
Judean Desert
Provincial affiliation: 
Palaestina I
Bishopric: 
Jerusalem
Topographical location: 
Cliff
Soils: 
limestone
Distance from nearest bishop-seat: 
15 km (Jerusalem)
Distance from Roman roads: 
4.5 km south of the road connecting Jerusalem with Jericho.
Source of knowledge
Hide Archaeological remains
Surveyed site
Surveyors: 
NameDate
Drake
1874
Conder and Kitchener
1871-1877
Féderlin
1903
Chitty
1928
Hirschfeld
1987
Sion
1991
Excavated site
Excavators: 
NameDate
Chitty
1929
Blomme and Nodet
1979
History: 
According to Cyril of Scythopolis, the monastery was established in 411 CE by Euthymius and his friend Theoctistus in a "ravine south of the Jericho road, ten miles (14.8 km) from Jerusalem". They had originally intended to establish a laura but due to the rough terrain had eventually decided on a coenobium. Euthymius left to establish other monasteries while Theoctistus stayed and the monastery was named after him. The site was occupied up to the medieval period after which it was abandoned.
Discussion: 
Most of the effort of investigation of this monastery was concentrated on the elaborate cave church, while the rest of it was mostly ignored by the investigators. Goldfuss et al. noted massive masonry walls close by that are of an east-west and north-south orientation but no further investigations have been reported. We are therefore unable to ascertain the plan of the monastery at present.
State of certainty: 
Archaeologically and Literarily definitive
General description
State of preservation/which parts were uncovered: 

The area at the base of the cliff was leveled to accommodate the complex. This was supported by a 95 m. long retaining wall that has survived in places to a height of 2.5- 5 m. A massive support pier has also survived. The most prominent remains at the site, and those that have been examined most intensively are those of the cave church. An extramural hermitage attributed to St. Sabas was recorded on the southern cliff of the wadi. Opposite it, on the northern bank, several Greek inscriptions with crosses and a pair of peacocks were incised on the rock above a bench and a water cistern. Another extramural hermitage with a chapel was recorded by Chitty at some distance upstream. See under Epigraphy.  

Illustrative material: 
Hide General description
Paths: 

A well preserved, paved path connects the monastery with the monastery of Euthymius at Mishor Adumim, four km away. A masonry built flight of steps leads from the center of the monastery up to the cave church.

Gate/s: 

The entrance to the monastery precinct is marked by a gateway located in the west and placed in the wall built across the width of the shelf on which the monastery is situated. The passage through the gate is flanked by two rooms. The thickness of the walls and the quantity of fallen debris suggests that it had a second story. On the eastern side of the courtyard there may have been a second, inner gate leading into the inner part of the monastery. The remains of a second, smaller gatehouse are to be found at the eastern side of the monastery.

Courtyards: 

A small interior courtyard, bounded by a stone railing on its southern side and the cliff on its northern side, is reached via a narrow passage from the gate.

Tower/s: 

In the eastern part of the complex, east of the stairway leading to the cave church, a two story tower has survived, dated to the medieval period. The tower, at the time of investigation was intact to its full two stories, with a vaulted stone ceiling.

Churche/s: 

The church complex consists of natural caves with hewn areas and a constructed six story structure abutting it. The complex consists of a prayer hall, narthex, annexes, storeroom and a burial complex. Its entrance is in the cliff face about 9 m above the ground. Frescoes found in the church are dated to the medieval period. Remains of a public building, quite possibly a second church, are about 35 m to the east of the cave church. This second structure has hewn walls oriented east-west. At the eastern end there is curvature, suggesting an apse. The floor is partially hewn in the rock with the southern end constructed over what seems to have been a crypt. Remains of colored stones are probably remains of the church paving.

Dwellings: 

Two extramural hermitage were recorded.

Burials: 

A large natural cave containing many human remains was found. It is not known to date if these belonged to the resident monks, pilgrims or others. A second burial complex is located in the cave church. The complex, originally a natural cavity was enlarged by hewing and walls were constructed and plastered. It is accessed via an opening in the floor of the narthex,

Cave/s: 

A passage leads from the gate into a small courtyard near a large natural cave. The cave was probably used as a stable (see below). About 70 m east of the gate, above the path, there is a natural cave which was used for burials (see above).

Hostelry: 

Traces of a campsite for visitors included a bench, a cistern and several holes in the cliff for hitching up pack animals.

Stable: 

The large cave north of the courtyard was probably used as a stable. This is based on holes in the rock wall where apparently animals could be tethered. The cave is ca. 17 m long and an average of 9 m wide, with a ceiling reaching 5 m.

Water installations: 

The remains of a large rock cut reservoir (16.5 m long) can be seen near the cliff. A round cistern (3.2 m diameter), fed by a channel collecting runoff water from the cliff, was preserved at the foot of the church.

Hide Small finds
Detailed description
Hide Structure
Materials applied (walls): 
Limestone
Hide Components
Enclosing wall
Gate/s: 
2
Tower/s
Courtyard/s
Monastery church: 
Church typeDiakonikonLink to church sectionChurch location
cave
unknown
Ground floor
Stable
Hostelry
Tombs type: 
Burial chamber
Built paths
Retaining walls
Water installations: 
Cisterns
Channels
Painted plaster
Architectural evolution
General outline: 
The massive retaining wall (ca. 95 m long) and the other structures have been dated to the Byzantine period. No excavations have taken place to enable more precise dating.
Dating material: 

The monastery was founded by Euthymius and Theoctistus in 411 CE based on the literary source.

Hide Phase date
Century: 
5th c.
Within century: 
Early
Post Arab conquest history: 
Still in use